Evergrey — Solitude + Dominance + Tragedy
The Art Corner was a series of articles by graphic artist Mattias Norén, who was part of the DPRP team and designed the layout we had at the time. In this series, Mattias reviewed the artwork of albums. The series started in January 1999 and ran for about 18 months.
The original introduction of the series is included below and will tell you what it was all about. This category no longer runs, so information about submitting an album for review has been removed, but we're keeping the archived articles as a separate series in the Features category.
Check out Mattias Norén's company website: ProgArt!
Dear visitor of The Art Corner!
Some people say that it's just the inside that counts, but I'm actually one of those men that cares much about the outside as well! :-)
The Art Corner only concentrates on the outside. What I think about the inside, the music, I'll keep for myself in this case.
Each album has been given 1 to 5 points in seven different categories.
- Design / Composition: Is the idea and layout good?
- Technical skill: Is the artist good at what he is doing?
- Connection to the music: Is the artwork inspired by the music, album title and the lyrics? Does it feel good to look at the cover at the same time you listening to the music?
- Logotype: How good is the design of the logotype?
- Typography: How good is the typography? (cover and backcover)
- Booklet: How good is the typography, artwork, layout and paper quality?
- Disc: How good is the typography, artwork, layout on the disc?
Artwork by Kristian Wåhlin
Photos by Kenneth Johansson
|Design and composition|
|Connection to the music|
My favorite artwork of this year is Swedish, and I am feeling a bit proud! Kristian Wåhlin's cover for the new Evergrey CD is outstanding. Great design, nice colours, very powerful, just like the music and interesting typography.
The only things that could be better are the person down to the right, plus the nose of the left face doesn't look natural. But who knows, he could have been born like that 😉
The booklet is clean and simple but very good as well. My personal opinion is that there are too many band photographs in the booklet. Each band member can be seen six times and that is just too much for me. I mean, if it had been "The Pamela Anderson Band" or something I would probably have thought it was OK, but now... 😁
Well, I have to say it in pure Swedish, Jävlar i helvitte vilket fetsnyggt omslag!
(Translation: "what a cute little piece of art!" 😁)