The latest in the popular Colossus series of releases celebrates the work of H.P. Lovecraft. A syNphonic Collection features twenty artists garnered from across the progressive circle.
H.P. Lovecraft was one of the most influential writers of the 20th century. A pioneer of “weird fiction”, he influenced Stephen King and helped create the subgenre which includes “The Twilight Zone”, “The X Files”, and “Fringe”. Colossus Projects and Musea have teamed up once again to produce a stunning 3-CD set with 64-page booklet that pays homage to Lovecraft’s legacy with 20 original compositions.
Each participating band chose a different Lovecraft tale, and then composed a musical piece based on, or inspired by, the story. Lovecraft’s weird tales proved to be a fantastic launching pad for the bands’ imaginations, as this project contains track after track of fantastic and creative prog rock. The bands and compositions are quite diverse, spanning many countries and progressive styles. Yet this “syNphonic collection” feels surprisingly cohesive, as the fantastical realm of Lovecraft’s imaginative writings drew the composers in a unified direction, all watching in awe and contemplating the horror of creatures and supernatural events from beyond our earthly realm.
Of interest to all fans of modern progressive rock, and essential to prog fans who love science fantasy with a dark twist!
- The Samurai of Prog – “The Case of Charles Dexter Ward”
- Glass Hammer – “Cool Air”
- Karda Estra – “The Haunter of the Dark”
- Unitopia – “The Outsider”
- Simon Says – “The Wailing Wall”
- Jinetes Negros – “Hypnos”
- Blank Manuskript – “Beast in the Cave”
- La Coscienza Di Zeno – “Colofonia”
- Guy Le Blanc – “Beyond the Wall of Sleep”
- Ars Ephemera – “The Other Gods”
- Attilio Perrone – “Topi nel Muro”
- Ciccada – “The Statement of Randolph Carter”
- Daccord – “The Doom that Came to Sarnath”
- Sithonia – “Il Gatti di Ulthar”
- Daal – “The Call of the Cthulu”
- Kate – “Dream-Quest to the Unknown Kadath”
- Nexus – “The Colour out of Space”
- Safara – “Calendimaggio”
- Aether – “Mountains of Madness”
- Goad (Bonus Track)