And he sees no contradiction in Asia having done nothing while vocalist John Wetton was too ill with addiction issues to take part, while Yes replaced frontman Anderson – and his replacement – when they suffered sickness.
Chris Squire is the only remaining founding member of Yes and the band’s latest member is singer Jon Davidson. Asia reconvened behind Wetton with their original lineup in 2006, and don’t plan to change it.
Howe tells: “It seemed Asia was pretty much dead and buried. When Geoff told me that John was solving all of his problems, it was the first time I had any hope we may reunite.
“It was a very slow call to get him capable and healthy and everything like that. We just love that fact that he has been able to do that – a lot of guys didn’t do that.
“A lot of guys are not around anymore because they got so trashed out. There are also a lot of guys who are still around, trashed out, and are begging for sympathy. They have to do it themselves – they have to crawl out of that hole themselves.”
But when Anderson was unable to tour with Yes after suffering a near-fatal respiratory problem, the band replaced him with Benoit David and moved on with their career. Wakeman left around the same time. David was subsequently dropped after he fell ill in 2011.
But Howe doesn’t believe the bands can be compared. He says: “Yes and Asia are very different kinds of creatures, really. It must be personalities. Asia doesn’t work unless it is the original guys.
“Asia had a long break where we didn’t do anything, and Yes has perpetuated all of these years. That has required people to come and go, and it has meant we need to get new blood sometimes.”
He feels Anderson and Wakeman did not share the band’s commitment to playing material from all eras of their 44-year career.
“For Yes to evolve we had to have people who were committed to it, to warrant a position in the band. If you come in and say, ‘I play the drums but in Yes I’m going to play the bongos,’ we would saym ‘But we want a drummer.’
“You’ve got to be able to provide the full story. We don’t just look at little pockets when certain people were in the group. We look at the group as a whole.
“That is the commitment. It’s not about Jon and Rick now. It’s about who can do these tours and who can perform the repertoire from 1968 to 2012.
“I’m not going to say Rick and Jon can’t do that – I will say that I don’t thin that’s what they want to do.”
Asked about the possibility of a future reunion with the pair, Howe replies: “How in the hell do I know? I wouldn’t say it’s on the agenda.”
July 2017 M T W T F S S « Jul 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Submit NewsPlease submit News items to:
news @ dprp.net
Only submissions written in ENGLISH will be accepted!
- News Page Discontinued
- Vivo: the first live album of Barock Project!
- Infinite Spectrum Premieres New Song “Fear” From “Haunter Of The Dark”
- FROST* Reveals Song “Heartstrings” from New Album
- TILT debut album announced
- ANDERSON RABIN WAKEMAN Announce Tour
- New SETI Album Announced
- PIMATOR: Watch the New Video Clip “To Mars”
- DICE Announce new Album
- WITHEM Release New Song “In The Hands of a God”
- STEVEN WILSON announces shows in Australia & New Zealand
- STEVE HACKETT to release “The Total Experience Live in Liverpool” blu ray
- The Official Keith Emerson Tribute Concert – Saturday, May 28
- Frontiers Music announces the release of the new album from progressive rockers CIRCA: “Valley of the Windmill”, which will be released on July 8th.
- FATES WARNING: “Theories of Flight” Track List Exposed
- TDW announces live band called “Dreamwalkers Inc” and their first gig!
- TDW releases brand-new song named “Anthem”
- WOLVERINE Unleash Track “Machina” from New Album
- Frontiers Music Srl announce the signing of Swedish progressive metal masters SEVENTH WONDER for a multi album deal!
- JORDAN RUDESS Keyfest 2016
- STEVE HACKETT to release ‘The Total Experience In Liverpool’
- FATERS WARNING Unleash Details of New Album “Theories of Flight”
- DELAIN Announce European Tour for Fall 2016
- AYREON signs with Mascot Label Group
- PAIN OF SALVATION to release “Remedy Lane Re:visited (Re:mixed & Re:lived)”
- RAY WILSON’s New Video “Not Long Till Springtime” released
- IMAGERY: Brazil’s Progressive Power Trio Launches “People Say” Single
- Progpower Europe Add SMALLMAN to the Line-up of 2016
- WITHEM Unleash First Track “Arrhythmia” from New Album
- PROG Presents new Song from THE JELLY JAM
- July 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
DPRP Twitter Updates