And he sees no contradiction in Asia having done nothing while vocalist John Wetton was too ill with addiction issues to take part, while Yes replaced frontman Anderson – and his replacement – when they suffered sickness.
Chris Squire is the only remaining founding member of Yes and the band’s latest member is singer Jon Davidson. Asia reconvened behind Wetton with their original lineup in 2006, and don’t plan to change it.
Howe tells: “It seemed Asia was pretty much dead and buried. When Geoff told me that John was solving all of his problems, it was the first time I had any hope we may reunite.
“It was a very slow call to get him capable and healthy and everything like that. We just love that fact that he has been able to do that – a lot of guys didn’t do that.
“A lot of guys are not around anymore because they got so trashed out. There are also a lot of guys who are still around, trashed out, and are begging for sympathy. They have to do it themselves – they have to crawl out of that hole themselves.”
But when Anderson was unable to tour with Yes after suffering a near-fatal respiratory problem, the band replaced him with Benoit David and moved on with their career. Wakeman left around the same time. David was subsequently dropped after he fell ill in 2011.
But Howe doesn’t believe the bands can be compared. He says: “Yes and Asia are very different kinds of creatures, really. It must be personalities. Asia doesn’t work unless it is the original guys.
“Asia had a long break where we didn’t do anything, and Yes has perpetuated all of these years. That has required people to come and go, and it has meant we need to get new blood sometimes.”
He feels Anderson and Wakeman did not share the band’s commitment to playing material from all eras of their 44-year career.
“For Yes to evolve we had to have people who were committed to it, to warrant a position in the band. If you come in and say, ‘I play the drums but in Yes I’m going to play the bongos,’ we would saym ‘But we want a drummer.’
“You’ve got to be able to provide the full story. We don’t just look at little pockets when certain people were in the group. We look at the group as a whole.
“That is the commitment. It’s not about Jon and Rick now. It’s about who can do these tours and who can perform the repertoire from 1968 to 2012.
“I’m not going to say Rick and Jon can’t do that – I will say that I don’t thin that’s what they want to do.”
Asked about the possibility of a future reunion with the pair, Howe replies: “How in the hell do I know? I wouldn’t say it’s on the agenda.”
Submit NewsPlease submit News items to:
news @ dprp.net
Only submissions written in ENGLISH will be accepted!
- ProgPower nominated for best indoor festival award / ProgPower 2015 first bands booked
- New Knight Area album: “Hyperdrive”
- Hungarian progressive dark metal band Dreamgrave announces debut LP ‘Presentiment
- Kika and Serious Music decided to make the ‘1000 wishes’ show available for free
- Sounds Of Fall – Metal Edition – Line-up complete!
- Distorted Harmony, New live video and confirmed November concerts
- THE GENTLE STORM sign deal with InsideOut Music
- DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT launch intergalactic lyric video for Deathray
- …AND YOU WILL KNOW US BY THE TRAIL OF DEAD premiere new song The Ghost Within
- Antimatter will perform their landmark album ‘Leaving Eden’ in full during their upcoming tour
- Silhouette release new single on Youtube
- PAIN OF SALVATION announce Falling Home acoustic album
- The Resonance Association Return From Dreaming: new album, single
- DEVIN TOWNSEND launches ZTV and new Ziltoid site
- Progdreams IV festival
- Pain Of Salvation plays Remedy Lane at ProgPower Europe
- CIRCUS MAXIMUS RELEASES LIVE CONCERT FREE ON YOUTUBE
- PSEUDONYM proudly presents TRACE
- Exclusive Flying Colors Show at 013 Tilburg, The Netherlands
- Labyrinth: and the new vocalist is…
- Pagan’s Mind moved to ProgPower Europe 2015
- Labyrinth: Roberto Tiranti gives up
- Almost at the summit – Men Who Climb Mountains from Pendragon
- Dodson and Fogg album out now
- The Aurora Project’s Marc Vooijs died
- THE PSYCHEDELIC ENSEMBLE TO RELEASE FIFTH ALBUM
- KINGCROW- Album Teaser
- ARJEN LUCASSEN honoured as Virtuoso at the Progressive Music Awards 2014
- Netherland Dwarf released “tortoise walks forever”
- The Gift and A Formal Horse on stage in Holland!!
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
DPRP Twitter Updates