And he sees no contradiction in Asia having done nothing while vocalist John Wetton was too ill with addiction issues to take part, while Yes replaced frontman Anderson – and his replacement – when they suffered sickness.
Chris Squire is the only remaining founding member of Yes and the band’s latest member is singer Jon Davidson. Asia reconvened behind Wetton with their original lineup in 2006, and don’t plan to change it.
Howe tells: “It seemed Asia was pretty much dead and buried. When Geoff told me that John was solving all of his problems, it was the first time I had any hope we may reunite.
“It was a very slow call to get him capable and healthy and everything like that. We just love that fact that he has been able to do that – a lot of guys didn’t do that.
“A lot of guys are not around anymore because they got so trashed out. There are also a lot of guys who are still around, trashed out, and are begging for sympathy. They have to do it themselves – they have to crawl out of that hole themselves.”
But when Anderson was unable to tour with Yes after suffering a near-fatal respiratory problem, the band replaced him with Benoit David and moved on with their career. Wakeman left around the same time. David was subsequently dropped after he fell ill in 2011.
But Howe doesn’t believe the bands can be compared. He says: “Yes and Asia are very different kinds of creatures, really. It must be personalities. Asia doesn’t work unless it is the original guys.
“Asia had a long break where we didn’t do anything, and Yes has perpetuated all of these years. That has required people to come and go, and it has meant we need to get new blood sometimes.”
He feels Anderson and Wakeman did not share the band’s commitment to playing material from all eras of their 44-year career.
“For Yes to evolve we had to have people who were committed to it, to warrant a position in the band. If you come in and say, ‘I play the drums but in Yes I’m going to play the bongos,’ we would saym ‘But we want a drummer.’
“You’ve got to be able to provide the full story. We don’t just look at little pockets when certain people were in the group. We look at the group as a whole.
“That is the commitment. It’s not about Jon and Rick now. It’s about who can do these tours and who can perform the repertoire from 1968 to 2012.
“I’m not going to say Rick and Jon can’t do that – I will say that I don’t thin that’s what they want to do.”
Asked about the possibility of a future reunion with the pair, Howe replies: “How in the hell do I know? I wouldn’t say it’s on the agenda.”
Submit NewsPlease submit News items to:
news @ dprp.net
Only submissions written in ENGLISH will be accepted!
- KINGCROW to release their 6th album “Eidos” June 23
- SOEN joins 2015 line-up of ProgPower Europe
- YUKA & CHRONOSHIP’s 2nd crowdfunding campaign for 3rd album
- KRISTOPHER GILDENLÖW goes wild with Baby Elephant Song!
- Spectral Mornings – Charity Single by Rob Reed – features Steve Hackett, David Longdon, Rob Reed, Nick Beggs, Tina Booth and more
- New Mandala Album “Midnight Twilight”
- COLIN EDWIN, PAT MASTELOTTO Combine To Launch O.R.k.
- LEPROUS debut video for “The Price”
- KNIGHT AREA start crowd funding project to finance their live dvd “Hyperlive”
- Progressive Rock Legends RENAISSANCE To Tour The UK April 2015
- THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA presents an epic album of fully orchestrated renditions of progressive rock masterpieces
- Prog Ensemble EXOVEX Releases Debut Album Radio Silence
- DICE to release new album
- Summer’s End Festival completes line up
- New album by SOUL SECRET
- New Magic Pie album to be released 25th May
- PROGDREAMS FESTIVAL will be held at De Boerderij during Easter
- Norwegian progsters LEPROUS are releasing their new album “The Congregation”
- PURSON sign worldwide deal with Spinefarm Records
- LEAGUE OF LIGHTS Featuring THRESHOLD’s RICHARD WEST Working On New Album
- NIGHT OF THE PROG FESTIVAL completes line up of the 10th anniversary
- ENOCHIAN THEORY mastermind BEN HARRIS-HAYES unveils solo project
- Lend your voice to SYNAESTHESIA
- FREE prog intiative at t’Blok
- Italian Prog Ensemble NOT A GOOD SIGN To Release Sophomore Album “From a Distance”
- The Aristocrats third studio album “Tres Caballeros”
- Cinematic prog rock band CIRCULINE announce release date for their debut album
- Australian canterbury icon Daevid Allen has passed away
- The Psychedelic Ensemble new release
- Video from the first Empty Tremor live album
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
DPRP Twitter Updates