Taking a detour from his main job as lead guitarist for Journey, the multi-talented Neal Schon has put the finishing touches on his latest solo album, The Calling, which will be released by Frontiers Records on October 19th in Europe and October 23rd in North America. Produced by, and featuring, Schon on all guitars and bass, The Calling reunites Schon with former Journey bandmate, Steve Smith, who lends his virtuoso drum talents to all 12 tracks on the new album.
Schon set up shop at Berkeley’s famed Fantasy Studios during a break from Journey’s busy touring schedule, and recorded the album, completely from scratch, in just four days. After overdubbing multiple guitar and bass parts, Schon recruited two keyboard masters to flesh out the music Igor Len, an accomplished classical, jazz and film composer who had previously collaborated with Schon, is featured on acoustic piano throughout « The Calling » album.
GRAMMY Award-winning special guest Jan Hammer (Jeff Beck, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Miami Vice soundtrack) recorded Moog synthesizer solos on two tracks – Fifty Six and Tumbleweeds. Recently, Schon teamed up with Dan Barnett (Journey: Live In Manila) to produce the video for the first single and title track from « The Calling ».
While celebrating the release of The Calling, Schon will be back on the road with JOURNEY as the band’s 2012 tour kicked off July 21 in Southern California and is scheduled to run through December, with most dates featuring special guests Pat Benatar featuring Neil Giraldo and Loverboy. Check www.journeymusic.com for updated tour details.
« The Calling » tracklisting includes: The Calling; Carnival Jazz; Six String Waltz; Irish Field; Back Smash; Fifty Six (56); True Emotion; Tumbleweeds; Primal Surge; Blue Rainbow Sky; Transonic Funk; Song Of The Wind II.
Song samples from « The Calling » can be streamed now on Neal Schon’s official website!
Submit NewsPlease submit News items to:
news @ dprp.net
Only submissions written in ENGLISH will be accepted!
- Rush To Play European Festivals In 2014?
- Trevor Bolder RIP
- The Doors icon Ray Manzarek dies of cancer
- 1000Wishes by PBII
- Julianna Barwick readies album #3
- Kristoffer Gildenlöw – RUST
- Orphaned Land – Our Own Messiah
- Flash to release first album in 40 years
- Ray Jackson launches new Lindisfarne
- Band changes for Mostly Autumn
- Lisa LaRue retires!
- Legendary ‘Dutch Woodstock’ available
- Sound of Contact
- TumbleTown – Done with the Coldness
- Comedy of Errors to tour Europe
- UK tour Touchstone & Von Hertzen Brothers
- Asia announce first show with Sam Coulson
- Martin Barre’s New Day Tour
- Mr So & So – Time For Change
- Daniel Cavanagh – Within Part II
- The Tangent confirm new album
- Profuna Ocean wins Dutch Exposure
- Nektar to tour USA
- ProgPower Europe 2013
- JOLLY – Firewell
- Silhouette back in the studio!
- Pinnick Gales Pridgen – Collateral Damage
- Deep Purple waveres over Now What?!
- Why I wanted Ginger Baker for Black Sabbath!
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
DPRP Twitter Updates