Welcome to ‘Crimes And Reasons’, the long-awaited fourth album by multi-instrumentalist and multi-genius Steve Thorne.
Following his two-album opus ‘Emotional Creatures Pt. 1 and Pt.2’ and 2009´s critically acclaimed ‘Into the Ether’, Thorne presents a collection of ten musical gems that again defy the usual categorization.
If ‘Crimes And Reasons’ were a picture, it would probably be a wide and solid bridge between two shores – a very traditional English landscape, all hedges and green fields on one side, a vibrating, challenging and somewhat puzzling city on the other. Thorne, who cites artists from Bowie to Genesis to Cockney Rebel as influences, is a master of moods and atmospheres. On ‘Crimes and Reasons’ you´ll find melancholic, intimate gems alongside songs that roar with anger.
A progressive rock artist that is not afraid to shout “Fuck” if the song demands it: “I guess the lyrics are the most important thing”, says Steve. “Sometimes they are written incredibly quickly and almost appear before my eyes.” But the end product is far more than a series of brief sketches – they’re courageous statements of a modern man in a changing society. “Some of it can come over a little bitter and twisted” admits the singer.
No out-dated metaphors. Steve Thorne is clearly a man of our times and aware of real life challenges. That might be the reason why ‘Crimes and Reasons’ even more than it´s predecessors is pushing the boundaries of progressive rock. Those that had never heard of the ‘P’ word would probably place Thorne as a singer/songwriter – but with a twist.
Melancholic, but not dull. Accessible, but not easy going. Different, but not just for the sake of being different – Steve Thorne´s “Crimes And Reasons” is an album that will enlighten this year´s spring for the mature progressive rock listener (and his wife as well).
And a little help from his friends! While Thorne sings all compositions, and plays the majority of instruments, he has again managed to put together an impressive list of guest musicians who were happy to help out on ‘Crimes and Reasons’. You´ll find Tony Levin´s (Peter Gabriel, King Crimson) precise bass playing and Nick D´Virgilio´s (Genesis, Spock´s Beard) superlative drumming, as well as contributions from Martin Orford (ex-IQ) on flute, Gary Chandler (Jadis) on guitar and last but not least the smooth grooves of Bob White.
As always, “Crimes and Reasons” was mixed by engineer and long time collaborator Rob Aubrey (IQ, Spock´s Beard, Pulse).
Submit NewsPlease submit News items to:
news @ dprp.net
Only submissions written in ENGLISH will be accepted!
- “The D Project” will perform with “Marillion” at Festival d’été de Québec
- Sanguine Hum Live CD/DVD
- AMAZE KNIGHT: THE OFFICIAL LIVE VIDEO OF “RESTLESS SOUL”
- Vivaldi Metal Project fundraising campaign (helping deaf-blind children)
- Distorted Harmony ‘s new album “Chain Reaction” released
- AMPLIFIER invite you into the world of “Mystoria”
- Thieves’ Kitchen needs your vote!
- Magic Pie Concert in Stockholm 8th November
- MAYBESHEWILL announce European tourdates and reveal “Fair Youth” artwork
- VOYAGER NOMINATED FOR PROG MAGAZINE’S PROGRESSIVE MUSIC AWARDS 2014 ‘BREAKTHROUGH ARTIST’
- PROG SPHERE Invites Bands to Send Submissions for 20th Edition of Progstravaganza Compilation Series
- Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited Live at The Royal Albert Hall DVD 7 CD box set & Oct Nov Tour
- PRIMUS, KING DIAMOND, UNEVEN STRUCTURE and KAMLATH members from prog supergroup ESCAPETHECULT
- Mistheria announces recording of their new album “Gemini”
- STEVE ROTHERY announces release of ‘Live In Rome’ CD/DVD through InsideOutMusic
- Progressive Promotion Festival
- An evening with Tim Bowness & Henry Fool (featuring Colin Edwin)
- United Progressive Fraternity
- GuitarEuroMedia Guitar Solo Contest 2014
- ASIA to release a unique live document of the original line-up’s performance of the debut album in full
- SEETHER revealed ‘Words As Weapons’ video
- MYSTERY – Unveil the Mystery (compilation)
- Distorted Harmony to release their second album “Chain Reaction”
- YES SET TO RELEASE NEW STUDIO ALBUM IN JULY ON FRONTIERS RECORDS “HEAVEN & EARTH”
- Sounds Of Fall – A new progrock and progmetal event!
- VOYAGER LAUNCHES “V” ALBUM STREAM EXCLUSIVELY ON REVOLVERMAG.COM
- STEVE HACKETT reveals ‘Carpet Crawlers’ video from “Genesis Revisited: Live at the Royal Albert Hall” DVD
- Karnataka introduces new bandmember “Jimmy Pallagrosi”
- Tiles Release “Off the Floor 02 (Limited Edition)”
- Prog Legends ILUVATAR Release “From the Silence” on 10T Records
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
DPRP Twitter Updates