Welcome to ‘Crimes And Reasons’, the long-awaited fourth album by multi-instrumentalist and multi-genius Steve Thorne.
Following his two-album opus ‘Emotional Creatures Pt. 1 and Pt.2’ and 2009´s critically acclaimed ‘Into the Ether’, Thorne presents a collection of ten musical gems that again defy the usual categorization.
If ‘Crimes And Reasons’ were a picture, it would probably be a wide and solid bridge between two shores – a very traditional English landscape, all hedges and green fields on one side, a vibrating, challenging and somewhat puzzling city on the other. Thorne, who cites artists from Bowie to Genesis to Cockney Rebel as influences, is a master of moods and atmospheres. On ‘Crimes and Reasons’ you´ll find melancholic, intimate gems alongside songs that roar with anger.
A progressive rock artist that is not afraid to shout “Fuck” if the song demands it: “I guess the lyrics are the most important thing”, says Steve. “Sometimes they are written incredibly quickly and almost appear before my eyes.” But the end product is far more than a series of brief sketches – they’re courageous statements of a modern man in a changing society. “Some of it can come over a little bitter and twisted” admits the singer.
No out-dated metaphors. Steve Thorne is clearly a man of our times and aware of real life challenges. That might be the reason why ‘Crimes and Reasons’ even more than it´s predecessors is pushing the boundaries of progressive rock. Those that had never heard of the ‘P’ word would probably place Thorne as a singer/songwriter – but with a twist.
Melancholic, but not dull. Accessible, but not easy going. Different, but not just for the sake of being different – Steve Thorne´s “Crimes And Reasons” is an album that will enlighten this year´s spring for the mature progressive rock listener (and his wife as well).
And a little help from his friends! While Thorne sings all compositions, and plays the majority of instruments, he has again managed to put together an impressive list of guest musicians who were happy to help out on ‘Crimes and Reasons’. You´ll find Tony Levin´s (Peter Gabriel, King Crimson) precise bass playing and Nick D´Virgilio´s (Genesis, Spock´s Beard) superlative drumming, as well as contributions from Martin Orford (ex-IQ) on flute, Gary Chandler (Jadis) on guitar and last but not least the smooth grooves of Bob White.
As always, “Crimes and Reasons” was mixed by engineer and long time collaborator Rob Aubrey (IQ, Spock´s Beard, Pulse).
Submit NewsPlease submit News items to:
news @ dprp.net
Only submissions written in ENGLISH will be accepted!
- ProgPower nominated for best indoor festival award / ProgPower 2015 first bands booked
- New Knight Area album: “Hyperdrive”
- Hungarian progressive dark metal band Dreamgrave announces debut LP ‘Presentiment
- Kika and Serious Music decided to make the ‘1000 wishes’ show available for free
- Sounds Of Fall – Metal Edition – Line-up complete!
- Distorted Harmony, New live video and confirmed November concerts
- THE GENTLE STORM sign deal with InsideOut Music
- DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT launch intergalactic lyric video for Deathray
- …AND YOU WILL KNOW US BY THE TRAIL OF DEAD premiere new song The Ghost Within
- Antimatter will perform their landmark album ‘Leaving Eden’ in full during their upcoming tour
- Silhouette release new single on Youtube
- PAIN OF SALVATION announce Falling Home acoustic album
- The Resonance Association Return From Dreaming: new album, single
- DEVIN TOWNSEND launches ZTV and new Ziltoid site
- Progdreams IV festival
- Pain Of Salvation plays Remedy Lane at ProgPower Europe
- CIRCUS MAXIMUS RELEASES LIVE CONCERT FREE ON YOUTUBE
- PSEUDONYM proudly presents TRACE
- Exclusive Flying Colors Show at 013 Tilburg, The Netherlands
- Labyrinth: and the new vocalist is…
- Pagan’s Mind moved to ProgPower Europe 2015
- Labyrinth: Roberto Tiranti gives up
- Almost at the summit – Men Who Climb Mountains from Pendragon
- Dodson and Fogg album out now
- The Aurora Project’s Marc Vooijs died
- THE PSYCHEDELIC ENSEMBLE TO RELEASE FIFTH ALBUM
- KINGCROW- Album Teaser
- ARJEN LUCASSEN honoured as Virtuoso at the Progressive Music Awards 2014
- Netherland Dwarf released “tortoise walks forever”
- The Gift and A Formal Horse on stage in Holland!!
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
DPRP Twitter Updates