EMI Music have just confirmed that on Monday 26th September they will launch the ‘Why Pink Floyd…?’ campaign of 2011 remasters and collectors’ editions by recreating the legendary Pink Floyd Animals sleeve. They will be floating a second version of the iconic Pink Floyd pig (nicknamed ‘Algie’ in December 1976), above Battersea Power Station. The new animal has been manufactured at the same German factory that created the original, and it will be the first time in 35 years for a Pink Floyd pig to fly above the London landmark – weather permitting, of course.
Major Pink Floyd release campaign, “Why Pink Floyd?”Pink Floyd and EMI Music, whose association dates from 1967, announce a comprehensive release schedule, to be launched on September 26, 2011, encompassing CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs, SACD, an array of digital formats, viral marketing, iPhone Apps, and a brand-new single-album “Best Of” collection.
The legendary band, who are still one of the most successful and iconic artists of all time, recently signed an agreement with EMI which has allowed the development of a multi-format programme of packages, many containing archive material that has been collated during an extensive process between EMI and Pink Floyd for a range of media formats.
The releases, under the banner Why Pink Floyd?, are designed to appeal to a wide cross section of their fans, with music to excite first time listeners, while super-deluxe box sets will cater to dedicated fans, allowing them to immerse themselves in multi-disc sets, containing alternate takes, unreleased tracks, restored live concert screen films and a live recording of the legendary The Dark Side Of The Moon performance at Wembley in 1974.
A series of different listening experiences have been specially created for this release: in addition to remastered CDs called ‘Discovery’ and the ‘Immersion’ CD/DVD/Blu-ray memorabilia box sets will be a series of ‘Experience’ Editions – coupling one classic album with a further disc of related content from that album to offer a deeper listening experience.
Roger Faxon, CEO of EMI Group, said: “This is a unique collaboration between EMI and one of the most creative and influential bands in history. We have worked together for more than a year on this programme which incorporates all the elements that have made Pink Floyd one of the most inspiring forces in modern music. Why Pink Floyd? Because their music is without equal and these exciting new releases will allow music fans to rediscover their incredible legacy and demonstrate that an appreciation for artistic quality never goes out of fashion”.
Storm Thorgerson, the band’s longtime Art Director, has overseen the visual design, including new booklets for all the CDs, new artwork for the box sets and men us for the DVD content. Respected photographer Jill Furmanovsky, has edited books of original unseen photographs. Pink Floyd collaborators James Guthrie (in the US) and Andy Jackson (in the UK) have been in charge of digital remastering to the highest audio and audiovisual standards.
Pink Floyd film archivist Lana Topham has supervised the painstaking restoration of many historic films from Pink Floyd’s classic era, included in the ‘Immersion’ box sets for ‘The Dark Side Of The Moon’ and ‘Wish You Were Here’.
First to be available on 26 September 2011 will be:
Expanded deluxe and special edition versions of Pink Floyd masterwork The Dark Side Of The Moon, in a 6-disc ‘Immersion’ box set and ‘Experience’ 2-disc versions, as well as a collectors’ Vinyl LP and various digital formats. Plus 14 studio albums, digitally remastered will be available separately or as a box set.
Other initiatives will include a digital marketing plan utilising user-generated content to allow fans to make their own creative contributions to the band’s music, plus iPhone Apps which will give a unique insight into Pink Floyd’s recorded legacy.
On 7 November 2011, Phase 2 of the releases will include:
Wish You Were Here ‘Immersion’ 5-disc and ‘Experience’ 2-disc editions, both of which will include bonus material from the band’s 1974 Wembley dates, including a 20-minute tour de force live rendition of ‘Shine On You Crazy Diamond’, as well as a unique recording of ‘Wish You Were Here’ featuring the legendary jazz violinist, Stephane Grappelli. A collectors’ Vinyl LP will also be available, as will various digital formats.
Released simultaneously will be A Foot In The Door – The Best Of Pink Floyd, a collection of their most well-known songs, contained on one album for the first time.
The long-awaited 5.1 version of ‘Wish You Were Here’, mixed by James Guthrie, will also be released in parallel via independent label Acoustic Sounds.
The Wall, which has sold 25-million double sets and has become a cultural and political touchstone over the last three decades, will be afforded the same exhaustive treatment on February 27, 2012, with deluxe packages including a 7-disc ‘Immersion’ set and a 3-disc ‘Experience’ edition. A collectors’ Vinyl LP will also be available, as will various digital formats.
Pink Floyd’s official Web site, www.pinkfloyd.com, will be given a substantial relaunch from today. Pink Floyd’s Facebook page now has over 11 million followers.
September 26 2011:
All 14 remastered studio albums ‘Discovery’ editions
Box-set of all 14 albums with photo book
Audio downloads of ‘Discovery’ albums and box-set
The Dark Side of The Moon – ‘Immersion’ and ‘Experience’ editions, Vinyl LP, and digital editions
November 7 2011:
A Foot In The Door – The Best of Pink Floyd
Wish You Were Here – ‘Immersion’ and ‘Experience’ editions, Vinyl LP, and digital editions
February 27 2012:
The Wall – ‘Immersion’ and ‘Experience’ editions, Vinyl LP, and digital editions
In 1967 the band comprised Syd Barrett, Roger Waters, Nick Mason and Richard Wright. Barrett left in 1968, to be replaced by David Gilmour. Syd Barrett died in 2006; Richard Wright died in 2008. Pink Floyd have sold over 200 million records worldwide to date.
Submit NewsPlease submit News items to:
news @ dprp.net
Only submissions written in ENGLISH will be accepted!
- New MAGNUM Album and Tour
- Krautrock Ensemble HEDERSLEBEN To Release Third Album “The Fall Of Chronopolis”
- New Turkish Post Rock Band ELEPHANT AND WHALE
- RICK WAKEMAN Collaborates With 15-year-old Soprano Emmie Beckitt On New Single “Welcome A Star”
- Track List of DREAM THEATER’s “The Asonishing – Act I” unveiled
- New single of ECHOCHAIN scheduled for release
- JOLLY creates new crowdfunding concept
- KATATONIA have confirmed details of their new band new drummer Daniel ’Mojjo’ Moilanen, but are in search of a guitarist now
- New TURBULENCE Live Video Online
- SOUL ENEMA album teaser featuring ARJEN LUCASSEN is out
- KIAMA new project from ROB REED ( Magenta) and ANDY EDWARDS ( Frost*/IQ)
- Keyboard Legend Keith Emerson Releases Early 1960’s Recordings on CD and Download!
- CHRIS BRAIDE and GEOFF DOWNES Release the Second Chapter of THE DOWNES BRAIDE ASSOCIATION ‘Suburban Ghosts’
- SHANE GAALAAS has new album out
- Amsterdam: 2nd DREAM THEATER SHOW announced
- SPOCK’S BEARD new “Tides of Time” video
- DREAM THEATER confirm album title and release teasers about the concept
- ROGER WATERS new concept album
- MYRATH start fundraising campaign for massive music video
- DREAM THEATER anounce 2016 European tour, debuting the new album in its entiety
- New free Generation Prog Festival compilation out, change in line-up
- THRESHOLD are confirmed to headline PROGPOWER EUROPE 2016
- MAGMA To Release 12-CD Live Set “KÖHNZERT ZÜND BOX SET”
- ANATHEMA new concert film “A Sort of Homecoming”
- New Album “Beyond the Panopticon” by SONUS UMBRA
- New VANDEN PLAS track “Godmaker’s Temptation” on Youtube
- THE TEA CLUB to release new album “Grappling”
- THE ARISTOCRATS ‘ Tres Caballeros ’ European Tour starts in November 2015
- NICK BEGGS confirms release date of THE MUSTE GOD’s debut
- WATCHTOWER release three new songs
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
DPRP Twitter Updates