The Enid will not only be playing at High Voltage this weekend (Prog Stage, Sunday), they will be distributing copies of their newspaper, Enid News.
Enid News contains information about the world’s most majestic rock band, The Enid, its music and its band members, but also several comment pieces in which Robert John Godfrey, one of the founding fathers of the progressive movement in the late Sixties, questions the future of all creative artists unless their fans play a leading role (The Enid’s fans, The Enidii, are behind the band’s major appearance at Symphony Hall, Birmingham, with the City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and a 200-piece choir in October).
Godfrey wrote: “Concept albums like Journey’s End, with their layers of meaning and subtle content require hundreds of hours of creative work, thousands of pounds to produce and one hell of an emotional roller-coaster to bring to fruition. With support no longer available from the recording industry and most people wanting to download music for free, how on earth is this quality of creative work ever going to get achieved in future?
“The days of big record companies willing to spend money on expensive works of art are long gone. Nor is there an Arts Council able to support this sort of thing on the grounds that there are apparently sufficient commercial avenues available.
“This state of affairs has led to almost limitless choice from a vast mountain of largely shallow revamped rubbish produced on the cheap. The only place funding for a band like The Enid can possibly come from is the fans. They will need to be true music lovers and be ready to step collectively into the shoes of good old fashioned patronage to support the future of bands like The Enid.
“Otherwise the likes of us and all those other potential bands of the future; people with big ideas and intelligent imaginative music in their hearts intent on pushing the envelope will fade into the shadows.”
The Enid are available for interview before during or after High Voltage – Robert John Godfrey is a particularly good interviewee with original, forthright and well constructed viewpoints about a range of topics, especially the parlous state of the music industry.
Submit NewsPlease submit News items to:
news @ dprp.net
Only submissions written in ENGLISH will be accepted!
- hAND releases New Album ‘Kintsugi’ on Monday 3rd November through Brutal Elite
- Andy Jackson (Pink Floyd engineer/producer) new album
- MYSTERY – New Live Album and Tour
- MIKE PORTNOY TO JOIN BIGELF FOR INTO THE MAELSTROM – EUROPEAN TOUR 2014!
- Aeon Zen release Audio Book video
- Lucid Fly – New Music!
- “Polish art rock/prog rock band HellHaven’s newest album “Beyond The Frontier” is now available
- The Samurai of Prog new album “The Imperial Hotel”
- ProgPower Europe Day tickets now available!
- Rob Reed New Solo Album – Sanctuary
- MIDNIGHT MASSES release “Departures” album Launch “Now Here Is Nowhere” short film
- AMPLIFIER launch first track and video from “Mystoria” and announce European tour dates
- …And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead announce European tour in support of forthcoming new album
- EXCLUSIVE EUROPEAN PERFORMANCE JOLLY @PROGPOWER EUROPE
- SPOCK’S BEARD announce European tour dates for September
- MAYBESHEWILL launch first track from “Fair Youth” album
- Sounds of Fall 2014
- Abel Ganz new album officially released july 8th
- Rob Reed’s new album Sanctuary released july 21th
- THE PINEAPPLE THIEF TO RELEASE NEW ALBUM “MAGNOLIA” THIS SEPTEMBER
- Unsigned Bands Invited to Take Part on First Progstravaganza CD Compilation
- New Gandalf’s Fist Album to Feature Members of Nightwish, It Bites, Gryphon, Pendragon & More
- New Iamthemorning album “Belighted” released through Kscope this fall
- “The D Project” will perform with “Marillion” at Festival d’été de Québec
- Sanguine Hum Live CD/DVD
- AMAZE KNIGHT: THE OFFICIAL LIVE VIDEO OF “RESTLESS SOUL”
- Vivaldi Metal Project fundraising campaign (helping deaf-blind children)
- Distorted Harmony ‘s new album “Chain Reaction” released
- AMPLIFIER invite you into the world of “Mystoria”
- Thieves’ Kitchen needs your vote!
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
DPRP Twitter Updates