The Enid will not only be playing at High Voltage this weekend (Prog Stage, Sunday), they will be distributing copies of their newspaper, Enid News.
Enid News contains information about the world’s most majestic rock band, The Enid, its music and its band members, but also several comment pieces in which Robert John Godfrey, one of the founding fathers of the progressive movement in the late Sixties, questions the future of all creative artists unless their fans play a leading role (The Enid’s fans, The Enidii, are behind the band’s major appearance at Symphony Hall, Birmingham, with the City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and a 200-piece choir in October).
Godfrey wrote: “Concept albums like Journey’s End, with their layers of meaning and subtle content require hundreds of hours of creative work, thousands of pounds to produce and one hell of an emotional roller-coaster to bring to fruition. With support no longer available from the recording industry and most people wanting to download music for free, how on earth is this quality of creative work ever going to get achieved in future?
“The days of big record companies willing to spend money on expensive works of art are long gone. Nor is there an Arts Council able to support this sort of thing on the grounds that there are apparently sufficient commercial avenues available.
“This state of affairs has led to almost limitless choice from a vast mountain of largely shallow revamped rubbish produced on the cheap. The only place funding for a band like The Enid can possibly come from is the fans. They will need to be true music lovers and be ready to step collectively into the shoes of good old fashioned patronage to support the future of bands like The Enid.
“Otherwise the likes of us and all those other potential bands of the future; people with big ideas and intelligent imaginative music in their hearts intent on pushing the envelope will fade into the shadows.”
The Enid are available for interview before during or after High Voltage – Robert John Godfrey is a particularly good interviewee with original, forthright and well constructed viewpoints about a range of topics, especially the parlous state of the music industry.
Submit NewsPlease submit News items to:
news @ dprp.net
Only submissions written in ENGLISH will be accepted!
- The Aurora Project’s Marc Vooijs died
- THE PSYCHEDELIC ENSEMBLE TO RELEASE FIFTH ALBUM
- KINGCROW- Album Teaser
- ARJEN LUCASSEN honoured as Virtuoso at the Progressive Music Awards 2014
- Netherland Dwarf released “tortoise walks forever”
- The Gift and A Formal Horse on stage in Holland!!
- Brett Kull of Echolyn Co-Producing the New Fractal Mirror CD
- PBII plays at Classic Rock Society in Engeland September 20th
- Progressive masters SOEN return with new album ‘Tellurian’
- Frequency Drift new release today and concert in the Netherlands
- Qui Announce European Tour
- HAKEN announce release of Restoration EP
- AMPLIFIER stream “Mystoria” New album out
- Distorted Harmony invites you to fight the ‘Distortion of Music’
- HELIOPOLIS Release “City of the Sun” on 10T Records
- MAGNUM release new single!
- DEVIN TOWNSEND reveals Z² details
- THE GENTLE STORM: Arjen and Anneke announce new band name
- New Dodson and Fogg video, from upcoming album…
- Distorted Harmony, the first live video from “Chain Reaction Live!”
- MR. BIG Announce Touring Drummer & Revised Album Release Date
- Osada Vida reveal the title and release date of their new album
- Mike Mangini (Dream Theater) in Germany!
- hAND releases New Album ‘Kintsugi’ on Monday 3rd November through Brutal Elite
- Andy Jackson (Pink Floyd engineer/producer) new album
- MYSTERY – New Live Album and Tour
- MIKE PORTNOY TO JOIN BIGELF FOR INTO THE MAELSTROM – EUROPEAN TOUR 2014!
- Aeon Zen release Audio Book video
- Lucid Fly – New Music!
- “Polish art rock/prog rock band HellHaven’s newest album “Beyond The Frontier” is now available
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
DPRP Twitter Updates