Dutch progressive metallers Sun Caged see their highly anticipated third album “The Lotus Effect” set for release on 17th June 2011 on Lion Music.
Musically “The Lotus Effect” is the most diverse effort yet from Sun Caged containing both the heaviest and most mellow things the band has done. Moments of complex poly-rhythm contrast with very groove based melodic parts, and of course brilliant solo sections, and singable choruses all which give the band their own distinctive sound.
Lyrically the album tries to find themes in specific stories and circumstances that can be extracted and turned into universal and relatable feelings and ideas. Politics, relationships, personal reflection, intertwined with modern interpretations of concepts found within ancient eastern philosophies. In short, the lyrics try to find deep meaning in simple everyday truths, without preaching or sounding grandiose or pretentious or telling anyone what to do or think.
“The Lotus Effect” also saw a change of how Sun Caged created music with much of the material being written in the rehearsal room through jamming instead of different members writing almost complete works at home. This along with frequent live performances sees a more complete band sound shine through the new material. That’s not to say the album has been an easy one to produce.
Writing and arranging in the band room began almost immediately after release of “Artemisia” in 2007. An instrumental demo of some of the songs was made in 2008 so Paul Adrian Villarreal could work on lyric-writing at home, that same year a few more songs were composed and arranged including the 24 minute epic that comprises tracks 7 to 14 on the final album. Instrumental recording began toward the end of ‘08. Meanwhile, Paul’s lyric writing process was slowed down by new additions to his family but at the same time he equipped his home studio to be able to record the vocals for the album at home.
At this time the band also went through a pretty long search for a new bass player. Crisis was averted as Daniel Kohn was found just in time to be able to play some gigs in support of Pain of Salvation in December 2009 where several new songs were debuted at those gigs, and were well received. By this time, band and fans were getting anxious and excited for the new material to be released!
Mixing, mastering and Artwork took the better part of 2010 with every member juggling several other commitments and responsibilities, but happily the last of the vocal mixing sessions were finished just before Paul & his wife joyfully saw their third child born during the albums creation! In the run up to release the band played support to Fates Warning in February 2011.
Those who try to describe Sun Caged’s music will find this task to be considerable. Influences range from progressive metal to fusion and jazz, and atmospheric and ambient jaunts. The band’s progressive blend is going to excite lots of listeners because of its diversity and excitement with “The Lotus Effect” serving up the most potent examples of the bands sound yet. The wait has been worth it.
Full album information: http://www.lionmusic.com/cd/lotuseffect.htm
Submit NewsPlease submit News items to:
news @ dprp.net
Only submissions written in ENGLISH will be accepted!
- SILHOUETTE release new video for their single “In Solitary”
- BILLY SHERWOOD forms band CITIZEN and brings back WORLD TRADE
- UK Alt-Rock Prog Group THE DREAMING TREE To Release Fourth Album “Silverfade” on May 4, 2015
- Cain’s Offering – “Stormcrow (Official Audio)” goes public
- Superstar Vocalists From Both Sides Of The Pond Come Together For A Special Tribute To The Beatles!
- AYREON announces “The Theater Equation”
- SHINING sign to Spinefarm Records and plan new studio album for 2015
- ODIN’s COURT Release New Music Video in Support of Their Latest Album “Turtles All the Way Down”
- ANURYZM Return with New Album “All Is Not For All” and Lead Single “Humanoid”
- KINGCROW to release their 6th album “Eidos” June 23
- SOEN joins 2015 line-up of ProgPower Europe
- YUKA & CHRONOSHIP’s 2nd crowdfunding campaign for 3rd album
- KRISTOPHER GILDENLÖW goes wild with Baby Elephant Song!
- Spectral Mornings – Charity Single by Rob Reed – features Steve Hackett, David Longdon, Rob Reed, Nick Beggs, Tina Booth and more
- New Mandala Album “Midnight Twilight”
- COLIN EDWIN, PAT MASTELOTTO Combine To Launch O.R.k.
- LEPROUS debut video for “The Price”
- KNIGHT AREA start crowd funding project to finance their live dvd “Hyperlive”
- Progressive Rock Legends RENAISSANCE To Tour The UK April 2015
- THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA presents an epic album of fully orchestrated renditions of progressive rock masterpieces
- Prog Ensemble EXOVEX Releases Debut Album Radio Silence
- DICE to release new album
- Summer’s End Festival completes line up
- New album by SOUL SECRET
- New Magic Pie album to be released 25th May
- PROGDREAMS FESTIVAL will be held at De Boerderij during Easter
- Norwegian progsters LEPROUS are releasing their new album “The Congregation”
- PURSON sign worldwide deal with Spinefarm Records
- LEAGUE OF LIGHTS Featuring THRESHOLD’s RICHARD WEST Working On New Album
- NIGHT OF THE PROG FESTIVAL completes line up of the 10th anniversary
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
DPRP Twitter Updates