Dutch progressive metallers Sun Caged see their highly anticipated third album “The Lotus Effect” set for release on 17th June 2011 on Lion Music.
Musically “The Lotus Effect” is the most diverse effort yet from Sun Caged containing both the heaviest and most mellow things the band has done. Moments of complex poly-rhythm contrast with very groove based melodic parts, and of course brilliant solo sections, and singable choruses all which give the band their own distinctive sound.
Lyrically the album tries to find themes in specific stories and circumstances that can be extracted and turned into universal and relatable feelings and ideas. Politics, relationships, personal reflection, intertwined with modern interpretations of concepts found within ancient eastern philosophies. In short, the lyrics try to find deep meaning in simple everyday truths, without preaching or sounding grandiose or pretentious or telling anyone what to do or think.
“The Lotus Effect” also saw a change of how Sun Caged created music with much of the material being written in the rehearsal room through jamming instead of different members writing almost complete works at home. This along with frequent live performances sees a more complete band sound shine through the new material. That’s not to say the album has been an easy one to produce.
Writing and arranging in the band room began almost immediately after release of “Artemisia” in 2007. An instrumental demo of some of the songs was made in 2008 so Paul Adrian Villarreal could work on lyric-writing at home, that same year a few more songs were composed and arranged including the 24 minute epic that comprises tracks 7 to 14 on the final album. Instrumental recording began toward the end of ‘08. Meanwhile, Paul’s lyric writing process was slowed down by new additions to his family but at the same time he equipped his home studio to be able to record the vocals for the album at home.
At this time the band also went through a pretty long search for a new bass player. Crisis was averted as Daniel Kohn was found just in time to be able to play some gigs in support of Pain of Salvation in December 2009 where several new songs were debuted at those gigs, and were well received. By this time, band and fans were getting anxious and excited for the new material to be released!
Mixing, mastering and Artwork took the better part of 2010 with every member juggling several other commitments and responsibilities, but happily the last of the vocal mixing sessions were finished just before Paul & his wife joyfully saw their third child born during the albums creation! In the run up to release the band played support to Fates Warning in February 2011.
Those who try to describe Sun Caged’s music will find this task to be considerable. Influences range from progressive metal to fusion and jazz, and atmospheric and ambient jaunts. The band’s progressive blend is going to excite lots of listeners because of its diversity and excitement with “The Lotus Effect” serving up the most potent examples of the bands sound yet. The wait has been worth it.
Full album information: http://www.lionmusic.com/cd/lotuseffect.htm
Submit NewsPlease submit News items to:
news @ dprp.net
Only submissions written in ENGLISH will be accepted!
- Brett Kull of Echolyn Co-Producing the New Fractal Mirror CD
- PBII plays at Classic Rock Society in Engeland September 20th
- Progressive masters SOEN return with new album ‘Tellurian’
- Frequency Drift new release today and concert in the Netherlands
- Qui Announce European Tour
- HAKEN announce release of Restoration EP
- AMPLIFIER stream “Mystoria” New album out
- Distorted Harmony invites you to fight the ‘Distortion of Music’
- HELIOPOLIS Release “City of the Sun” on 10T Records
- MAGNUM release new single!
- DEVIN TOWNSEND reveals Z² details
- THE GENTLE STORM: Arjen and Anneke announce new band name
- New Dodson and Fogg video, from upcoming album…
- Distorted Harmony, the first live video from “Chain Reaction Live!”
- MR. BIG Announce Touring Drummer & Revised Album Release Date
- Osada Vida reveal the title and release date of their new album
- Mike Mangini (Dream Theater) in Germany!
- hAND releases New Album ‘Kintsugi’ on Monday 3rd November through Brutal Elite
- Andy Jackson (Pink Floyd engineer/producer) new album
- MYSTERY – New Live Album and Tour
- MIKE PORTNOY TO JOIN BIGELF FOR INTO THE MAELSTROM – EUROPEAN TOUR 2014!
- Aeon Zen release Audio Book video
- Lucid Fly – New Music!
- “Polish art rock/prog rock band HellHaven’s newest album “Beyond The Frontier” is now available
- The Samurai of Prog new album “The Imperial Hotel”
- ProgPower Europe Day tickets now available!
- Rob Reed New Solo Album – Sanctuary
- MIDNIGHT MASSES release “Departures” album Launch “Now Here Is Nowhere” short film
- AMPLIFIER launch first track and video from “Mystoria” and announce European tour dates
- …And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead announce European tour in support of forthcoming new album
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
DPRP Twitter Updates